Eggs are among the most consumed hen products found in virtually all parts of the world. It is a rich source of minerals and nutrients needed by the body for optimal functioning. Preparation could be in several ways such as boiling, frying etc. Preference, however, depends on what purpose exactly you want it to serve in your food or for you but for those who love to have their eggs boiled or for the reason of the dish would have it boiled, there is a mistake a lot of people have made and this has impacted their health badly. This article shall enlighten you on it and guide you on how to avoid it.
Eggs are laid by hens and it passes through their anus, the same place from which they defaecate. The alimentary canal of fowls are a habitat for microorganisms such as Escherichia coli (E.coli), Salmonella bacteria and Cryptosporidium and these bacteria could easily pass along with the faeces of the hen. There are times traces of faeces are found on the eggs laid by these fowls.
A lot of people love to put the egg they boil inside the food they wish to eat them with and have them all boil together. If you are among those, then you are likely going to get infected with any of the organisms harboured within the gut of the fowl especially when the stains from the poop are clearly visible on the shell of the egg.
These organisms when ingested with foods we eat can lead to severe medical conditions like –
1. E.coli- Abdominal cramps, low-grade fever.
2. Salmonella bacteria- Salmonellosis presents as diarrhoea, fever, abdominal pains.
3. Cryptosporidium comes with the same signs as Salmonellosis but complications can include inflammation of the gall bladder, inflammation of the liver or pancreas.
1. Never make the mistake of throwing an egg inside your food without washing it thoroughly.
2. If you are among those that would use the same water you boiled your eggs in to do other things like tea, pap etc. Make sure you wash the eggs thoroughly before throwing them inside the water else you may be exposing yourself to this health damage.