Love it or hate it, onions play a pivotal role in the food culture of our country. Onion as a vegetable is important for your health and is a must-have to stay fit and disease-free.
People who eat more vegetables and fruits as part of an overall healthy diet are likely to have a reduced risk of some chronic diseases because they provide nutrients vital for the health and maintenance of the body.
Onion is one such vegetable that contains various vitamins, minerals, and potent plant compounds that have been shown to promote health in many ways.
However, here is a look at why you should be eating raw onions daily in the morning before eating that delicious healthy food.
1. The flavonoids in onion help in reducing bad cholesterol in the body and thiosulfinates are known to keep the consistency of the blood right as they make the blood thinner. Due to this, the risk of heart attack and stroke reduces.
2. Vitamin C (which remains intact in raw form) along with the phytochemicals present in onions helps boost immunity. It can also help with the formation of collagen that is responsible for your skin and hair health.
3. Do you know that a powerful compound found in onions, Quercetin, has been suggested to play a role in preventing cancer, especially stomach and colorectal cancers.
4. Onions are rich in prebiotics inulin and fructooligosaccharides. These compounds help increase the number of friendly bacteria in your gut and improve immune function. Furthermore, a diet rich in prebiotics may help improve the absorption of important minerals like calcium, which may improve bone health.
5. Chromium, also present in onion, may help regulate blood sugar levels.
6. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), just one onion contains 25.3 mg of calcium. Calcium helps in maintaining strong bones, so eating onion daily, can result in better bone health.
7. Folate in onions can also help with depression, promote sleep and appetite.
8. Finally, chewing raw onions can help to improve your oral health. Studies have shown that it helps to eliminate bacteria that can lead to tooth decay and gum issues. Although, eating raw onions can make your breath stink.
In conclusion, to get the maximum benefit, it is advisable not to over peel. When you over-peel, you can end up with an unwanted loss of flavonoids. It is estimated that a red onion may lose about 20% of its quercetin and almost 75% of its anthocyanins if it is over-peeled.
So after carefully reading through it, what are your thoughts about eating raw onion? Please do well to drop your answers and share your opinion in the comment section below let’s discuss.